Archives and Operations Assistant
Artspaces invites applications for a summer Archives and Operations Assistant. The fixed term position runs June 4 to July 27, 2018, for 32 hours/week at $15/hour. This position is funded through Young Canada Works.
The Archives and Operations Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- In consultation with staff and board members, develop a comprehensive document of the centre’s archival holdings.
- Connect with local institutions and stakeholders that may possess complementary archival materials that may be of relevance to the centre.
- In consultation with staff and board members, research and develop a plan for the restoration of the centre’s remaining archival holdings.
Additionally, will act as a gallery attendant while on site, performing tasks that include but are not limited to:
- Conduct the front of house operation of the gallery, including:
- Provide information about regulations, facilities, and exhibits to visitors
- Open and close gallery during operating hours
- Greet visitors on arrival
- Monitor visitors while viewing exhibits
- Guide visitor to promotional materials and notify them of any ancillary programming
- Answer questions concerning exhibits, regulations, facilities, etc.
- Examine exhibits and objects periodically, notify gallery staff and assist in the repair or maintenance of the art or gallery space
The student may also be asked to perform the following tasks as needed:
- Research, develop, coordinate, and distribute surveys, promotional material, and press releases for events and exhibitions programming
- Complete appropriate record keeping, data management and reporting of resources, events, exhibitions, and other projects, particularly as it pertains to additions to Artspace’s archive and reporting to funders
The successful candidate should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Post-secondary education, either in process or completed in accordance of Young Canada Works stipulations, in art history, or equivalent/complimentary field
- Interest in contemporary art
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Strong commitment to community development and principles of social justice
- Experience working in an administrative capacity
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, set and meet deadlines, work under pressure, and exercise sound judgment in setting priorities
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets, as well as WordPress and website editing and administration; experience with IOS an asset
- Experience working with artist-run centres, collectives, or community-based organizations an asset
- Graphic design skills and familiarity with Mailchimp an asset but not required
Artspace is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from self-identified members of underserved communities including Indigenous youth, youth with disabilities, new Canadians, as well as visible and invisible minority groups.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5 PM ON FRIDAY MAY 10, 2019
Applicants should apply with CV, Cover Letter, and the names and contact information of two (2) references using the subject heading ATTN: ARTSPACE HIRING COMMITTEE_YourName to: